Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tap and Hub

From: "Crook, Parker" <Parker_Crook () reyrey com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:55:43 -0400

Typically speaking, vendors referring to hubs these days are referring to switches.  Just to double check and make sure
I hadn't missed the last few years, I asked one of our CCNPs and he gave me a funny look when I asked him about gigabit
hubs... so yeah, hubs only do 10 mb half-duplex.  Actually, here I started to brainstorm what a gigabit hub's traffic
would look like and, wow, talk about collision city...

Anyways, yeah, go look at gigabit taps.  A tap is going to copy at line-speed, any traffic going through it to the
tapped ports and you won't have to worry about numerous issues such as collisions and exceeding the bandwidth of the
device.

-Parker