Snort mailing list archives

Snort Logging Question

From: Jay Hall <jhall () socket net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:58:44 -0600

This is the first time I have setup Snort, and I am at a complete
loss.  I am running Snort on the bridge between my company and our
parent organization.  They have a habit of scanning networks without
warning and I would like to know when this happens.

I have created the local.rules file with a couple of rules.  Snort
starts without any problems.

Unfortunately, all the traffic on the bridge is logged.  I would like
to only have the traffic which triggers one of the rules in
local.rules be logged.

I have commented all of the includes, except local.rules, in snort.conf

Thanks for your help.

Jay