Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort does not deamonize

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:54:45 -0500

On 01/28/2010 04:15 AM, Helmut Schneider wrote:
--On January 27, 2010 9:30:36 AM -0600 Helmut Schneider<jumper99 () gmx de>
wrote:

since 2.8.5.1 I have a problem with snort, after startup on FreeBSD 8.0
it
does not deamonize. The startup command is

/usr/local/bin/snort -Dyq -F /usr/local/etc/snort/filter.conf -u nobody
-g
nobody -t /var/snort -l /var/snort/var/log -i xl0 -c
/usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf

Your problem is here - -Dyq.  You cannot combine the -D (daemonize) switch
with other switches.  Change it to -D -yq.  (You may also have to separate
the -y and -q switches.  I don't know because I haven't tested that.)

Wow, what gave you that idea?! Was that introduced with 2.8.5(.1)? It
definitely worked before.

Thanks, Helmut

This indeed was introduced in 2.8.5.  And the workaround is in fact to
specify the daemon flag by itself.  A bug has been created for this.
Thanks for the report.