Snort mailing list archives

Re: SID 1221 - musicat empower access

From: Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:54:03 -0500

OK...after some testing I updated the rule and changed the message.  Should
be out next week, unless we have an emergency push sooner.

Thanks again for the info, Guise.

Matt

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com> wrote:

Hey Guise,

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't have any records of prior false positive
reports, but the PoCs that I have available seem to indicate that your
change would probably be an improvement on things.  I'll whip up a PCAP and
see what I can do.

Now, as for your attitude.  Seriously, Guise:  "Seems a little simple, even
for VRT.", really?  That's weak sauce.  Don't come in here trotting out an 8
year old rule and bashing the VRT.  You have problems with us, let's hear
it.  Here or privately, I don't care.  I had thought that we had moved
beyond this.  We certainly are not perfect, and as I've said before I always
welcome the opportunity to improve our ruleset.  I feel that we've been very
responsive to the concerns on this list, that we've reached out to the
emerging threats group and that you and I specifically had come to an
understanding that we would work together on a more reasonable level.  Feel
free to call us on our crap, its one of the great benefits of having an
easily accessible, open set of rules (with some set of contractually
obligated obfuscation).  But when you do this way, as opposed to something
more constructive, it makes you look small and a schmuck.

I'm really trying here, and I think there is a lot coming up that will be
of use to the open source rule writers.  Let's try and work together for the
benefit of Snort users.

Matt

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Guise McAllaster <