Snort mailing list archives

White listing not performing as expected

From: Tommie Giles <tgiles () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:41:00 -0500

Morning, all.

I have a device on my networking that I'm endeavoring to white list.
However, it stubbornly refuses to follow my directives and I keep
getting alerts on it. Running 2.8.4.1 (Build 38). Everything else
seems to be configured normally, just this one thing is a thorn in my
side on this device. Here's the relevant configuration bits from
snort:

[snort.conf]

var $HOME_NET
10.199.0.0/25

[threshold.conf]

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 1, track by_dst, ip 10.199.0.115
suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 1, track by_src, ip 10.199.0.115

[excludes.conf, where I'm using BPF filters to exclude some traffic, like this]

and not (src host 10.199.0.115)

I do have the IP listed twice more in other blocks in my BPF excludes
(all exclusions), but otherwise this is the majority of the
configuration relevant to the device.

Thanks for any input on this.

Cheers,

tom

--
Tommie Giles

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."