Snort mailing list archives

Re: What do the commented-out rules mean?

From: Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:46:42 -0500

The VRT will certainly release rules in a default off state.  This is
especially true in cases where the detection is particularly
performance poor and the target is not widely deployed.  We also set
rules to default off if, in the opinion of the analyst, the amount of
potential false positives are very high, but the detection is still
needed for servers or clients in a particular (uncommon)
configuration.  Finally, we'll release rules in a default off state if
we feel that they are of use only to a limited segment of the user
base.

We know each network is different, and try to make decisions that work
on a broad set of networks, but each snort install needs to be tuned
in order to provide maximum value.

Hope that makes sense,

Matt

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM, evilghost () packetmail net