Snort mailing list archives

Re: Trying to build snort with your libpcap

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:15:49 -0600

# If you want to try and use my libpcap on linux, pull down the source
# from:
#
#  http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/libpcap-0.9.8.20081128.tar.gz
#
# Also, get snorts source from snort.org:
#
# http://www.snort.org/downloads/snort-2.8.5.tar.gz
#
#
# But, first, create a place to work, like ~/src.  Make sure you have
# read/write access to the directory. You will if you are in your home
# directory.  Assuming the above is true.
#
# Get the libpcap tarball from http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/
# and the snort tarball from http://dl.snort.org/snort-2.8.5.tar.gz
# into a src directory and then extract the source for libpcap and snort:
# before you start make sure you have a compile environment using:
#
  sudo apt-get install libtool automake autoconf flex bison
#
# Then, assuming you made a src dir in your home directory ...
#
  cd src
  tar -zxf libpcap-0.9.8.20081128.tar.gz
  tar -zxf snort-2.8.5.tar.gz
  ln -s libpcap-0.9.8.20081128 libpcap
  ln -s snort-2.8.5 snort
  cd libpcap
#
# as root make sure you have a compile environment using
# (answer y to Ok to proceed?[N/y] when prompted)
#
  rm -rf config
  sh bootstrap
#
#
# note if you see something like:
#
#   libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
#   libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
#   libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
#
# then, add "AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])" after "AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(pcap.c)" to configure.ac
# and add "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS         = -I m4" after "INCLUDES        = @V_INCLS@" to Makefile.ac
#
# Then sh bootstrap again.
#
# At this point you will want to check out the file .warrantee for some
# build hints. I use the messing around option normally until I get a
# build.  Lets use the shared option to build a shared library:
#
  ./configure --enable-shared
  make clean
  make
#
# Once you have the library built in the libpcap/.libs directory, then
# change to the snort directory and:
#
  cd ../snort
  ./configure --with-libpcap-includes=~/src/libpcap --with-libpcap-libraries=~/src/libpcap/.libs
  make
#
# You should find a working snort in src/snort/src/snort
#
  cd
  ls -l ~/src/snort/src/snort
#
# -rwxrwxr-x 1 cpw cpw 4092503 2009-10-05 16:16 /home/cpw/src/snort/src/snort
#
  PCAP_STATS=0x1fff PCAP_VERBOSE=1 PCAP_PERIOD=10000 PCAP_SNAPLEN=1500 PCAP_MEMORY=1000 /home/cpw/src/snort/src/snort
-i eth1 -b -l /tmp
#
# You will notice (assuming you ran snort as root) that there is a file
# in /tmp named snort.log* (its a pcap file and you can tcpdump it).
# You might have to come up with a different interface besides eth1.
#
# You will also notice that snort said it was not using PCAP_FRAMES, but
# it is using PCAP_MEMORY.  And in addition it should be dumping to
# stderr some S: records which you can read more about in the
# README.ring
# file found in the libpcap directory.
#
# Hope you have some luck with this business.  Another thing you might
# want to do is read up on libpcap-1.0.0.  There is actually an mmap
# version (but it is not mine with those nasty PCAP environment
# variables).  Check out the man pages.
#
#Later,
#