Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie question about $HOME_NET

From: "Daniel Qian" <daniel.qian () supracanada com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:02:30 -0400

Perhaps I did not make it clear. What I really want to detect is for those traffic between my network and the Internet,
 and in both direction

A lot of times when a host is compromised it will be made to attach other people on the Internet and I want to detect
this kind of activities as well. For traffic between my own hosts I am thinking to set up another snort box tapping on
the inside VLAN protected by my Cisco ASA firewall. The Cisco ASA currently has an IPS module to protect that VLAN from
outside.

Thanks,
Daniel