Snort mailing list archives

Re: New netbios rules?

From: Nerijus Krukauskas <nkrukauskas () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:50:45 +0300

On 2009-07-15, craig bowser <reswob10 () gmail com> wrote:
I just got the same problem as jlay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>.  I've had
v2.8.4.1 running just fine for a while, but today I updated the rules (both
from Snort and from Emerging threats) and performed an 'apt-get upgrade' and
suddenly I'm getting this error.  I don't have either "preprocessor dcerpc2"
or " preprocessor dcerpc_server: default" in my snort.conf and the entry for
dce/rpc is as follows:

# Per Step #2, set the following to load the dcerpc preprocessor
# dynamicpreprocessor file <full path to libsf_dcerpc_preproc.so>
# or use commandline option
# --dynamic-preprocessor-lib <full path to libsf_dcerpc_preproc.so>

preprocessor dcerpc: \
    autodetect \
    max_frag_size 3000 \
    memcap 100000

So it appears to be enabled.

However, I looked for libsf_dcerpc_preproc.so, but that file is not
present.  Do I need to create one?  The README.dcerpc file does not say how
to format such a file.

OTOH, did I screw up something updating the rules?

The new netbios rules need the NEW dcerpc2 preprocessor. Make sure you
have it and enabled in snort config. And the readme is called
README.dcerpc2.

--
http://nk99.org/