Snort mailing list archives

Re: missing snort_dynamicrules directory

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:13:07 -0400

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Alexander Novokhatsky <
alex.ontario () gmail com> wrote:

 Hello Adam,

Comment all dynamicdetection rules in snort.conf file if you don't use them

Like this:

#dynamicdetection file ..

Hi,

I'm a newbie and i'm trying to install Snort on Ubuntu with the help of
this tutorial:
http://www.howtoforge.com/intrusion-detection-with-snort-mysql-apache2-on-ubuntu-7.10

I followed the steps and now i'm always finished: it's time to test snort.

But when i type "snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf", it tells me that:

"ERROR: parser.c(5040) Could not stat dynamic module path
"/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/bad-traffic.so": No such file or
directory"

I checked and it's true, this directory is missing. How can i fix this?

Thank you,

Adam Szabo

--

Best regards,

 Alexander                            mailto:alex.ontario () gmail com<alex.ontario () gmail com>

This was not the answer to the question asked. You may need to make those
directories on the system:

 % mkdir /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/

Then place the shared object libraries in those directories. You will also
need to use the shared object rule files.

I suggest you read some more of the docs on snort.org and then perhaps think
about using pulledpork to handle your rule downloads for you.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist