Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules, alerts, tools

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:04:09 -0400

I recommend pulled-pork for rule updating.
http://code.google.com/p/pulledpork/

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Ron Kaye Jr <rekaye1005 () verizon net> wrote:

 hello all:

1) pulled the latest rules from snort.org for install.
registered at the site.
is this granular enough for uptodate rules, or should i install something
like oinkmaster?

2) has anyone setup alert groups in "base".
can you show me your setup, and the reasons behind it.

on my first pass, predefined alerts were consistently found.
will snort pass me indeterminate data, which is my job to interpret

3) i am reading that swatch or syslog-ng are used for real time alerting.
what is your preference?

will either of these conflict with barnyard, which appears to spool first
to a log file.

thanks

Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734