Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu 8 /etc/rc.local issue

From: Tommie Giles <tgiles () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:20:00 -0500

Yep, you can run multiple instances of Snort, as long as  there's one
per interface.

For me, I took the lazy route and have this in my /etc/init.d/snort:

for i in `/sbin/ifconfig | grep eth | /usr/bin/awk ' { print $1 } '`
do
/usr/local/bin/snort -i $i -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D -F
/etc/snort/excludes.conf &
echo "starting snort for $i with PID $!"
done

This will grab a list of all running interfaces (but not bonded ones,
which are normally named bond0, bond1, etc over here), and run Snort
against them.

One stop shopping.

tom