Snort mailing list archives

Re: MysSQL Issue

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:21:46 -0400

Are there login errors in the mysql log when you start up Snort? Does
snort complain that it cannot authenticate? Are you running Snort in a
chroot environment? Do you have something like the following in your
snort.conf file?

output database: log, mysql, dbname=snort user=snort host=localhost
password=xyz

--
Eoin Miller

Richard Buskirk wrote:

I have tried 1000 or more times to find this information online and
every  time the web page can’t be found.

My problem,

                We configured snort with mysql we created the snort
database we logged in with snort via the terminal we can modify delete
all the functions requested by snort and more.

Snort logs all day long to the log file but puts nothing in the
database. We checked every which way to make sure the
user/server/database/ everything is correct but it will not log into
mysql.

This is what I have tested, any suggestions on how to track this down
better. Or how I can fix this because I am 3 seconds away from just
rewriting the run file and just creating my own mysql  insert function
after the echo.

checking for mysql... yes

checking for compress in -lz... yes

checking for mysql default client reconnect... no

checking for mysql reconnect option... yes

checking for mysql setting of reconnect option before connect bug... no

mysql> status

--------------

mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.45, for redhat-linux-gnu (i686) using
readline 5.0

Connection id:          108

Current database:       snort

Current user:           snort@localhost

SSL:                    Not in use

Current pager:          stdout

Using outfile:          ''

Using delimiter:        ;

Server version:         5.0.45 Source distribution

Protocol version:       10

Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket

Server characterset:    latin1

Db     characterset:    latin1

Client characterset:    latin1

Conn.  characterset:    latin1

UNIX socket:            /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock