Snort mailing list archives

Re: VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

From: "Jeff Dell" <jdell () activeworx com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:56:01 -0400

The problem with once a week is what happens if you check on Monday at 8am
and the rules are updated on Monday at 8:05? You won't get any updates for 2
weeks. It would be really great to have something like a checksum that will
be available to see if there is a change in the rules file. This way users
know exactly when an update has occurred and even if they check it every 15
minutes they will be checking a tiny file as compared to 90megs+ file. Then
incorporating this into your favorite update utility will make updates very
fast most of the time as there won't be an update to the file, and would
severely lower the bandwidth that snort.org needs.

Cheers,

Jeff