Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and TNAPI

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:15:34 -0400

I used PF_Ring (without TNAPI) with snort about 2 years ago. I did
some testing comparing it to Phil Wood's libpcap and regular libpcap.
I wasn't impressed with the capture performance of PF_Ring (on x86).
It is really good at capturing very small packets (better than the
other two libpcaps), so it is great for things like ntop. Most of the
stats you see listed on the site are for 64 byte packets. With snort
the snap length is pretty high (at least for me) > 512 bytes.
Supposedly it works better on amd64 systems. I have not used
PF_RING+TNAPI though.

Wally

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Ritter, Nicholas