Snort mailing list archives

Re: snortrules-snapshot not sustainable?

From: Seth Art <sethsec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:19:17 -0400

Rule packages will be getting smaller in the next couple weeks, as we
drop some of the other versions.  Additionally after we switch
beta.snort.org over to snort.org we'll be investigating other ways to
distribute things.

Looking forward to it.

I second Jason's proposal: snortrules-snapshot-$VERSION-$DISTRO-$ARCH.tar.gz

I just unpacked the snapshot, removed all of the precompiled rules
except for snort-rules/so_rules/precompiled/CentOS-5.0/i368/2.8.4,
left everything else exactly the same, and then packed the snort-rules
directory back up, and it weighed in at 6.5 MB.    That would be much
more reasonable!

-Seth