Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2.8.4 performance improvements

From: Keith Konecnik <kkonecnik () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:17:34 -0400

In stream5 you have the ability to turn on and off the ignore any any rules
option.
-k

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Jefferson, Shawn <
Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com> wrote:

 Hi,

One of things that was talked about in the webcast on 2.8.4 was a
performance improvement, but the trade-off is that rules with Any -> Any
won’t be processed by some of the pre-processor’s (like Stream5).  I was
curious about how many rules are Any -> Any, and in my configuration (files
with none are removed):

attack-responses.rules:1
bad-traffic.rules:4
deleted.rules:5
dns.rules:2
emerging-attack_response.rules:2
emerging-malware.rules:1
emerging-p2p.rules:6
emerging-policy.rules:31
emerging-scan.rules:7
emerging-virus.rules:34
exploit.rules:4
icmp.rules:3
policy.rules:2
tftp.rules:8

So, my question is, is it worth turning this new feature on?  Is anyone
else using it yet?  Better performance sounds good…

Thanks,
Shawn