Snort mailing list archives

Re: MacOSX bus error, snort-2.8.3.1 install (James Lay)

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:22:43 -0500

Hi John,

Try altering your script to not use sudo for configure and make.  I
don't believe the environment variables TWO_LEVEL_NAMESPACE and
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET will be exported to the sudo environment.
Untar Snort into your users directory and do this instead of copying it
to /usr/local/src.  I don't believe it's necessary to rerun the
autotools unless you have a really old Mac OS (they weren't running in
your script anyway).  The making of the .so symbolic links aren't
necessary and the glibtool command shouldn't be necessary.  Try the
attached script.  Also there seem to be a few errors in your
snort.conf.  Try changing:

preprocessor file
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor/libsf_dcerpc_preproc.dylib
dynamicpreprocessor file
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor/libsf_dcerpc_preproc.dylib

and

dynamicengine
/usr/local/snort-2.8.3.1/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.dylib
dynamicengine /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.dylib

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Todd

John Kraus wrote:
Mr. Lay,

Thanks very much for your suggestion.  As my attached installation
output and script seem to indicate, I think I have correctly set the
environmental variables, LD_TWOLEVEL_NAMESPACE=1 and
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5.  (I have updated the zip file from my

Here is a summary of warnings that show up in my installation output:

spo_unified2.c:242: warning: 'write_pkt_buffer_mpls' defined but not used

ranlib: warning for library: libintsnort.a the table of contents is
empty (no object file members in the library define global symbols)

ranlib: warning for library: libtarget_based.a the table of contents
is empty (no object file members in the library define global symbols)

Plus NUMEROUS instances of:

libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor'

To reiterate, for those who missed my previous post, I am encountering
a bus error in my effort to install Snort 2.8.3.1 on a Mac.  For
further details, please see my zipped and attached installation
script, output and snort.conf files.  I have tried suggestions from
prior posts to this list on this subject to no avail.  Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.

John Kraus

      1. Re: MacOSX bus error, snort-2.8.3.1 install (James Lay)
    Message: 1