Snort mailing list archives

Advice on multiple packet capture

From: jeffs <jeffs () speakeasy net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:23:53 -0500

I've been using Snort and still consider myself a newbie although I am
fairly familiar with writing basic rules.  Unfortunately, the feat I
need to perform may need a more advanced set of eyes so I am hoping
someone on this list may be able to help me out.

I need to get only 1 alert on two separate GET requests that contain
different .jpg file names.

For example, there is a web page, it contains A.jpg and B.jpg.  If
someone looks at it I want to be able to get one alert but NOT if they
look at a different page which contains A.jpg and NOT B.jpg or still yet
a different page that contains B.jpg and NOT A.jpg.  Only on the page
the contains BOTH .jpgs should generate 1 alert.

I've tried the within keyword but I believe this only searches within a
single packet and as the two separate jpg files are sent via two
separate GET requests, I believe I am working with more than one packet,
am I correct in that assumption?

thanks for any advice.