Snort mailing list archives

Re: Questions: Filtering ESP & Duplicate traffic

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:35:59 +1300

Joel Esler wrote:

As far as filtering out things like ESP and VPN traffic, I see no
reason to inspect it if it's encrypted.  (That's what encryption is
for right? To make stuff unreadable?)
That's what we do on our sensors. We monitor our (VPN-based) WAN links
with snort, and depending on where the SPAN is done (which depends on
switch type, VLANs and how good a job the network group do in
implementing it), may contain a fair chunk of IPSec/GRE traffic. So we
filter that out to save CPU cycles. Also, where network-based DMZ
backups are done, we filter out the backup apps ports as well - because
otherwise snort gets hammered dealing with all that extreme traffic.

Obviously there is always a price to pay: anything you filter out means
snort cannot detect an issue within that protocol. C'est la vie.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417