Snort mailing list archives

Virut Botnet rule?

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:50:27 -0700

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a rule that would detect the Virut botnet communications, either in the snort rules or ET
rules?  Unfortunately, I had some machines pick this up, spread via the MS08-067 vulnerability.  I did write a rule to
detect communication outbound to what I think is C&C servers (any communication from $HOME_NET to $EXTERNAL_NET:11830).
 Just wondering if there may have already been some rules I could have used.

Also, I wanted to thank the list for their help!  Snort & BASE happened to be our only method of finding these
infections with our current toolset...

Thanks,
Shawn