Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort logs different than the stuff I see in BASE.

From: "Bruno G. San Alejo" <bgonzalez () polar es>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:30:22 +0100

    Hello, I think I figured it out. I used the -b switch though snort
is in NIDS mode, and the packets logged make sense now.

    The ICMP redirect ones if logged through -b and shown in Wireshark
look right. They have the right MAC addresses and the gateway for the
redirecion is right. The problem is that BASE is not showing them right.
The MACs are wrong and the gateway is wrong. I'm going throught he code
trying to figure out where the info gets loaded into the DB since the
packets logged by Snort are right but the pcap format of the packets
saved by BASE are wrong (if I save the packet through BASE and show it
with Wireshark, the gateway is wrong). Also, I don't know why BASE is
not showing all the packets.

    So, Snort logs the packets right to a file, but my guess is that
there is something weird about how a packet is logged to the DB and how
BASE gets it. I don't know if Snort is not logging right into the DB or
BASE is not reading right. I'll go through the DB and check it to figure
it out.

    Also, I'm logging to a file with the log_tcpdump option and will
check it out as soon as I get the packets.

    Thanks.

Joel Esler wrote:
Actually, I was just corrected:

-b makes snort act like tcpdump entirely
log_tcpdump logs event packet information in a pcap format.

I would use -b at the command line if I was using Snort in Sniffer
mode.  log_tcpdump is more for the IDS/IPS portion of the engine.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com