Snort mailing list archives

only alerts on incoming traffic.

From: jkv <jkv () unixcluster dk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:37:08 +0100

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting snort to trigger rules on outgoing
connections, inbound connections works just fine.
For debugging this issue i have disabled all my normal rules and made a
few debug rules:

alert tcp any any -> 90.185.105.45 25 (msg:"DEBUG: SMTP INCOMMING";
sid:22222222;)
alert tcp 90.185.105.45 any -> any 25 (msg:"DEBUG: SMTP OUTGOING";
sid:11111111;)

(90.185.105.45 is my static ip, normally i use HOME_NET for this but
since i am debugging i have hardcoded the IP in the rules)

With these two rules i get snort alerts if i generate port 25 from a
remote server to my server - so far so good. But if i from my server
initiate a port 25 connections to some remote smtp server i dont get any
snort alerts.

Anyone got any ideas about why this is happening?

Regards,
jkv