Snort mailing list archives

Failed to Lock PID File

From: "Mike Sweetser - Adhost" <mikesw () adhost com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 05:35:32 -0800

Hello:

I'm trying to run Snort 2.8.2.2 on a FreeBSD 7.0p5 server.  Starting snort manually works properly, but when starting
it as a daemon, I always get the following error and Snort exits:

PID path stat checked out ok, PID path set to /var/run/
FATAL ERROR: Failed to Lock PID File "/var/run//snort_em0.pid" for PID "3615"

I've tried different Snort configurations, different interfaces, different PID paths - I cannot get away from this
error.  Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thank You,
Mike Sweetser