Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pattern Matching

From: Rayne <hjazz6 () ymail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:22:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

1) So AC is run for the fast pattern matcher to narrow down potential rules, then Boyer-Moore is run for the actual
content matching. If there are no content modifiers, each pattern in the potential rule should be matched from the
beginning of the payload, right? Also, if I only have one content option per rule, Boyer-Moore will not be employed?
And what do you mean by "if the content (or pcre) is relative"?

2) I'm thinking of the situation where the longer pattern "CDEFG" is only significant if the shorter pattern "AB" is
found, that is, CDEFG means nothing when it appears in the payload alone. Also, there is the speed consideration. For
example, the payload may contain CDEFG but not AB. Because CDEFG is the longer pattern, it will be put in the fast
pattern matcher and trigger a match. If AB is put together with CDEFG under the same rule, I would have wasted time
trying to find AB in the payload. If I could have the rule for matching CDEFG trigger only when AB is found, I could
have saved that time.

5) You said that stream5 "will flush the segments it has gathered, reassembling into a pseudo-packet and sending to the
preprocessors and detection engine (only if timeout is reached)". This happens even if the segments it gathered are
incomplete when timeout occured?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne