Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule help

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:28:10 -0500

You can't use ports with the "ip" protocol.

You have to use tcp or udp.

On Dec 23, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Jefferson, Shawn allegedly wrote:

Hi,

My original rule worked out great, but I tried to create another rule that alerts me on anything that went from the $HOME_NET to $EXTERNAL_NET port 11830, and I obviously did something wrong, since I got about 3 million alerts in 5 minutes… pretty much all traffic going to the IDS sensor (which takes forever to delete via BASE!)

Here’s what tried:

alert ip $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 11830 (msg:”port 11830 traffic outbound”; sid:1000002; rev:1;)

Thanks,
Shawn