Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: "Joel Esler" <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:04:14 -0400

I just took your script, replaced the OINKCODE with my OINKCODE, and it
works fine.  So the problem must be on your side.

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Bernhard <snort () brainfood homelinux org>wrote:

Hello everybody,

I'm not a sort admin.

Our ids host has no connection to the internet.
There is an other host, that gets the rules updates from snort.org and
pushes them to the ids host.

The script does basicly the following:

OINKCODE="01234567890abcdef01234567890abcdef012345"
URL="
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/$OINKCODE/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz
"
wget -m $URL.md5
wget -m $URL
TMPF=$(echo $URL | sed 's;^[^:]*://;;')
sumw=$(cat "$TMPF.md5")
sumt=$(md5sum "$TMPF" | awk '{print $1}')
if [[ "$sumt" != "$sumw" ]]
then ERROR
fi

This worked well for a few month. Now for the last two weeks or so, I
ether get errors like:

Connecting to proxy-zh[10.10.10.10]:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
11:53:25 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
18:36:08 (154.45 KB/s) - Read error at byte 51777407 (Connection timed
out).Giving up.

Connecting to proxy-zh[10.10.10.10]:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 500 Server Error
16:46:22 ERROR 500: Server Error.

I don't think it's our proxy, because on the same machine I download
patches that are bigger than 50MB.

Any idea what this could be ?

Sincerely
Bernhard