Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort ... so where from here

From: Seth <sethsec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:57:14 -0400

Brent,

You CAN, but most people do not, enable all of the signatures.  An
easy start would be to take a look at the end of your snort.conf.
Each .rules file referenced is a group of signatures of the same type.
 The default snort.conf has some entire rule sets disabled by default.
 You are encouraged to look through the list and pick which sets would
be most appropriate for your environment.  Enabling the
spyware-put.rules on a sensor that protects only web servers might not
be the best use of resources on an older box.   In a situation like
that, just comment the spyware-put.rules line and enable all of the
rules files that you feel would be appropriate.

After you choose which entire sets you would like to have
enabled/disabled, then you can move on to disabled certain signatures
in the oinkmaster.conf.

-Seth