Snort mailing list archives

Re: sfportscan tuning

From: "Kamran Shafi" <kamran.shafi () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:47:42 +1100

Oops guess I replied to personal address.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Kamran Shafi <kamran.shafi () gmail com>
wrote:

Thanks for a quick reply Joel,

In the conf file there are apparently only three levels (low, medium and
high) of sensitivity that you can set for sfportscan preprocessor which I
believe have their thresholds set internally. I understand that the local
and global thresholds can be configured using threshold directives at rule
level or globally but that does not seem to effect the preprocessor
settings. I am actually simulating some scanning activity which is being
detected by the portscan preprocessor, but I want snort to alert more often
than it is doing with the high sensitivity.

What am I missing and sorry for my ignorance :(.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>