Snort mailing list archives

Re: Configuring Barnyard with Bleeding threat rules

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:31:55 -0400

Thank you for your help, I am now getting the correct alert information
via the BASE console. However,
now I am having an issue with an incorrect time stamp for the alerts being
generated with Barnyard. The
time stamp is off by about four hours. I have verified the time on my
Snort box with the date command
and everything is correct. Also, I ran Snort without Barnyard to see if
the alerts would have the
correct time stamp and they did. So it seems as if Barnyard is providing
me with an incorrect time
stamp. Did you guys ever come across an issue like this?

I ran into this problem when using Snort with the -t switch (chroot to
directory) which was preventing it from getting correct time zone data.
Adding:

export TZ="America/Detroit"

to my startup script fixed the problem.  (Obviously, use your local time
zone, not mine.)

PaulM