Snort mailing list archives

Fwd: What's up with Snort's license?

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:05:37 -0400

Forwarding for Alan again:

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Alan Shimel" <alan () stillsecure com>
Date: July 18, 2007 7:41:21 PM EDT
To: "Martin Roesch" <roesch () sourcefire com>, "Snort Users" <snort-
users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] What's up with Snort's license?

Marty

Not sure if this will make it back to the list because the latest
incarnation of our exchange server seems to have me under
alan () stillsecure com and I think I am ashimel () latis com on the snort
list. If you could forward for me.  thanks

On GPL, yes we disagree. I think your "clarifications" actually
changes
or modifies the GPL.  You think it just states what it always meant. I
think the FSF left it vague on purpose and this is something that you
and I aren't going to solve. Lawyers have been arguing over this for
years, so lets agree to disagree.

On your other points, I think you sidesteped the issue. If I am
reading
this right, you are saying you don't want help from other commercial
companies you just want licensing fees.  So don't say you are looking
for help and support, say you are looking for licensing revenue. It is
not about what it costs you to keep up snort, it is about you own
it and
are entitled to a fee if others use it.  Of course the GPL does not
exactly say that, but at this point I think you are stuck with the
GPL,
so you clarify it to suit your needs as much as you accuse others of
interpreting it to suit their needs. And of course that assumes you
own
all the code, which brings up the whole 3rd party issue which I will
address in a bit.

As to contributing to the project, lets be clear, you just said you
don't want commercial companies help, you want license fees.  Years
ago
we decided to support Matt Jonkman and the bleeding community as did
other commercial entities.  We didn't frankly see a way that you
wanted
us to help.  On the other hand we were only too happy to join the VRT
program and we thought of this as in some way helping and giving back,
though frankly we don't use that rule feed.  We don't have a problem
paying for something, we just don't want to be held over a barrel with
licensing fees that change as we become more competitive.  I think you
would want the same thing.

As to what we give back, we have offered a free version of our IPS
(which uses a snort engine) for a long time
(http://www.stillsecure.org).  We also put our new Cobia platform in
what we consider a license which is clearer than the GPL
(http://cobia.stillsecure.com).  Let me be really clear.  Our take on
open source and Cobia is that if you use the product and don't
resell or
profit from it, it is free and you get the source code to modify and
use.  If you are going to resell it in any way, then you need a
commercial license. Marty, I don't think that is very different than
what you are trying to do. You are just trying to make sure the GPL
says
that. I don't think it does, so we wrote our own license. If you
want to
say that makes us not open source, that is fine by me too. Cobia is
free
and you get source code. But at the end of the day, we are trying to
accomplish the same thing. In fact if you give Cobia away and don't
profit from it, you are free to do so under our community license as
well.

On 3rd party contributions. I understand the reasons you give for the
assignment.  I just think it puts a chill on the communities
willingness
to contribute.  Also on older contributions, did the contributors
realize this when they contributed code?  I think this is
unfortunately
the way it goes when open source projects get commercialized after
starting out non-commercial.  But Sourcefire and Snort are not the
only
ones dealing with this. We looked at the same thing with Cobia and
again
we made sure our license is really clear on it.  So maybe it is not
GPL
and you may say that makes it not open source.  I don't hold NMap
up as
the shining star of what is right and wrong either. They have their
model and some agree and some may disagree with what they did with
their
interpretation of the GPL license.  I say our community wants free
software and the source code to modify.  They understand if they
resell
or profit we expect them to use a commercial license.  Isn't that what
you are trying to accomplish?

Here are two questions I do have Marty. If you run snort, don't modify
it or anything and just take the output and use that output for your
application. Is that a valid use under the 3.0 license?  Would you
still
need a commercial license?  The second question, if someone ported
snort
to run on Cobia and we distributed it for free with the free
version of
Cobia would that still need a commercial license under the 3.0
license?

alan

StillSecure
Alan Shimel
Chief Strategy Officer

O 303.381.3815
C 516.857.7409
F 303.381.3881

StillSecure, After All These Years

www.stillsecure.com
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential material.
Review or other use of this information by persons other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you've received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete
from any computer.