Snort mailing list archives

Re: libc detects snort memory problems

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:49:06 +1200

Russell Fulton wrote:
Hi I'm getting this on one of my sensors (FC6) for both snort 2.7.0.1
and 2.8.0RC1:

Snort sucessfully loaded all rules and checked all rule chains!
Snort exiting
*** glibc detected *** snort: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer:
0x0c5b5873 ***

I have more or less identical boxes running with out problems.

Any idea what is going on?

Hmmmm.... I've just realised that the message is printed as snort
exits.  I was running with -T and I assumed that the message was what
was killed snort.  In fact snort was exiting and the message was
generated as part of the exit.  Same happens if you start snort without
-T and then ^C it.

Russell.