Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard for Windows?

From: "M. Shirk" <shirkdog_list () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:38:29 -0400

On the contrary, I always offer something constructive, criticism. You have nothing to stand on if Justin agrees with
me. The only use for Snort on wnblows is in universities or classrooms were people don't know how to use a computer,
but they need Snort to learn about network security. Otherwise it is completely useless on winblows. I don't think you
can monitor anything high speed (I would be surprised at ANY numbers reaching 150Mb/s but who knows) Did you have
winblows monitoring your website??http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3005/winsnortown3dao0.jpgShirkdog
' or 1=1--
http://www.shirkdog.us> From: michaels () winsnort com> To: justin.heath () gmail com; shirkdog_list () hotmail com>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Barnyard for Windows?> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:26:07 -0400> > It's really just too bad
that people like you and shirk are on the list. You> both have nothing constructive to contribute so you both try to
instigate> crap using your stupidity.> > People like the both of you never last long on the list.> > Kindest regards,>
Michael...> > WINSNORT.com Management Team Member> --> ****************** Established ~ 2001 *******************> *
     Visit Us @ http://www.winsnort.com           *> *      ~~ FREE WinIDS Snort installation guides ~~      *> *
        ~~ FREE support forums ~~               *> * Snort: Open Source Network IDS - http://www.snort.org *>
*********************************************************> > -----Original Message-----> From: snort-users-bounces ()
lists sourceforge net> [mailto:snort-users-bounces () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of Justin Heath> Sent:
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:37 AM> To: M. Shirk> Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net> Subject: Re: [Snort-users]
Barnyard for Windows?> > It's so much of a travesty win32 executables are available via snort.org.> ;-)> > On 8/21/07,
M. Shirk <shirkdog_list () hotmail com> wrote:> >> >  You have Snort on Windows, isn't that enough of a travesty?> >> >
Shirkdog> > ' or 1=1--> > http://www.shirkdog.us> >> > > From: michaels () winsnort com> > > To: snort-users () lists
sourceforge net> > > Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:23:33 -0400> > > Subject: [Snort-users] Barnyard for Windows?> >> > >> >
Does anyone know if there will be any Barnyard solution for the Windows> > > environment?> > >> > > Kindest regards,>
Michael...> > >> > > WINSNORT.com Management Team Member> > > --> > > ****************** Established ~ 2001
*******************> > > * Visit Us @ http://www.winsnort.com *> > > * ~~ FREE WinIDS Snort installation guides ~~ *> >
* ~~ FREE support forums ~~ *> > > * Snort: Open Source Network IDS - http://www.snort.org *> > >
*********************************************************> > >> > >> > > -----Original Message-----> > > From:
snort-users-bounces () lists sourceforge net> > > [mailto:snort-users-bounces () lists sourceforge net] On> > Behalf Of
Joel Esler> > > Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 7:47 AM> > > To: James Lay> > > Cc: Snort> > > Subject: Re: [Snort-users]
Diagnosing MySQL server has gone away> messages> > >> > > James, yes, this happens when Snort hasn't inserted anything
to mysql in> a> > > bit. Mysql will time out the connection. I suggest the use of the> unified> > > output plugin, then
use "barnyard" to read those unified files and> insert> > > them into the database.> > >> > > As a general
recommendation for everyone on the list, Snort should never> > be> > > logging directly to the DB.> > >> > > Joel> > >>
On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 07:53:58PM -0600, it looks like James Lay sent> me:> > > > Hey all!> > > >> > > >
Subject says it all...anyone else get these? All I have to do is> > > restart> > > > snort and life is fine. Tested out
manually during the times that> > > snort> > > > says mysql has gone away with mysql -h 10.0.0.39 -u bleh -p and I> > >
connect> > > > right off. Any hints on this? Thank you!> > > >> > > > James> > >> > > >> >
Splunk Inc.> > > > Still grepping through log files to find problems? Stop.> > > > Now Search log events and
configuration files using AJAX and a> browser.> > > > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/>
sourceforge net> > > > Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:> > > >> >
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users> > > > Snort-users list archive:> > > >> >
http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > -----> > > joel esler>
http://demo.sourcefire.com/jesler.pgp.key> > >> > >> >