Snort mailing list archives

Re: Diagnosing MySQL server has gone away messages

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:47:12 -0400

James, yes, this happens when Snort hasn't inserted anything to mysql in a bit.  Mysql will time out the connection.  I
suggest the use of the unified output plugin, then use "barnyard" to read those unified files and insert them into the
database.

As a general recommendation for everyone on the list, Snort should never be logging directly to the DB.

Joel

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 07:53:58PM -0600, it looks like James Lay sent me:
   Hey all!

   Subject says it all...anyone else get these?  All I have to do is restart
   snort and life is fine.  Tested out manually during the times that snort
   says mysql has gone away with mysql -h 10.0.0.39 -u bleh -p and I connect
   right off.  Any hints on this?  Thank you!

   James

-----
joel esler
http://demo.sourcefire.com/jesler.pgp.key