Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cannot suppress events from a security scanner

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:04:55 -0400

Are you just trying to ignore traffic to/from this host totally?

Why don't you use a bpf filter at Snort's command line, or even write pass rules?

joel

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:54:56PM +0200, it looks like trashboy () free fr sent me:
Hi all,

I would like to exclude from snort processing rules a security scanner. To do
so, I've completed as follow the threshold.conf file:

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 1-9999, track by_src, ip 192.168.1.250
suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 1-9999, track by_dst, ip 192.168.1.250

Unfortunately, it doesn't works. Snort goes on processing traffic from this IP
address. I've done another test specifying just one sig_id and in this case it
works. Anyone can help me solve this issue ?

Thanks,

Joel Esler                                          Security Consultant