Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules to block FT

From: "Joel Ebrahimi" <jebrahimi () stillsecure com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:41:21 -0600

Hi Dwane,

There is a problem with this rule. The content detection portion of the rule looks good, it looks for the 530 response
from FTP for an incorrect login.
The problem lies within the rule header though (alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 21), this content that is
being looked for is from the client to the server, where it is really the server that sends the 530 error code so by
switching the direction your monitoring this pattern for you should be good to go (alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 21 ->
$HOME_NET any).

//Joel

StillSecure
Joel Ebrahimi
Senior Software Engineer

http://www.stillsecure.com/
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential material.
Review or other use of this information by persons other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you've received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete
from any computer.