Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Snort not righting to DB

From: Dirk Geschke <dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:39:55 +0200

Hi Louis,

I have 4 interfaces on this machine.  One to communicate to it and 3 in
passive mode.  Snort is righting to
/var/log/snort/{interface}/snort.log.{some number}.  Is barnyard smart
enough to look in to all the interface directories and read the
snort.log file?  Or do I need to do something different?

I suspect that you have to run either one barnyard version for
each snort. Otherwise: How will you separate the different
Interfaces?

Lastly, is Barnyard the best tool for loading the data in to the
database or would something like Syslog-NG be better?

Oh, you can even use FLoP to write the alerts to a database:

   http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP/

It does nearly the same es barnyard except that there are no files
created on the sensor. The alerts are written directly via an unix
socket to the program which forwards the alerts to the database.

Best regards

Dirk