Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detecting Skype traffic (reliably)

From: "Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:36:10 -0300

AFAIK there is _always_ the initial agent -> server communication
before any calls. This is trivial to detect.

On 10/24/06, Andrew Hay <andrewsmhay () gmail com> wrote:
Has anyone, in practice...not in theory, been able to create and
validate a snort signature that is able to classify Skype traffic?
I've been researching for days and am having a hard time.  I know that
TippingPoint has a way of classifying (and blocking) Skype traffic but
from what I hear they don't appear to be sharing the 'secret sauce'.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

--
Andrew Hay [NSA/CCSE Plus/CCNA/Security+/RHCE/GCIA/SSP-MPA/SSP-CNSA]
blog: https://www.andrewhay.ca