Snort mailing list archives

one way traffic?

From: John Hally <JHally () epnet com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:56:37 -0500

Hello All,

I've noticed something strange with snort (2.4.3) and the sguil
log_packets.sh script.  It seems like all of a sudden I'm seeing one-way
traffic.  The sensor is running on Fedora Core5 and I want to say that it
may be attributed to a yum update, but I can't be certain exactly when this
started happening.

Essentially I'm running snort in packet logger mode on a trunk port coming
off an edge router with BPF filters watching a specific host:

snort -l /var/log/snort/sensor/dailylogs/2006-12-08 -b -i eth1 vlan and host
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

It seems that the traffic I capture is only destined to the host, not to and
from.  Is it possible something changed as far as the filters?  The traffic
is being captured off of a Gigabit SingleStream tap to a gigabit copper
interface in promisc mode.  I've also tried a SPAN port to the same
interface with the same results.

Thoughts?

Thanks.