Snort mailing list archives

Re: Advice on Snort Inline

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:19:08 -0400

Mark,

Thanks for emailing the list.

3 nics is the the way you want to go, one nic in, one nic out.  There
are some configuration guides to Snort inline out there (try the Snort
manual, it's a good starting point), all you have to do is basically
have iptables forward everything to "QUEUE" then Snort reads from that
QUEUE.

Fedora Core 5 will work just fine, just make sure you are running the
bare minimum of services on it, as you want your Snort box to be as fast
as possible for inline mode.

Joel

Mark Rohrbeck wrote:
Hi all,

I have 2 IDS systems in place and tuned to their specific networks, the next
step I want to take is running them with Snort_inline. I am just a little
unsure on how to do this. I would prefer to use Fedora Core 5 as the OS but
open to suggestions. I mainly want to find out if I can run Snort_inline on
one box?

The networks are pretty small with 10 - 50 XP PC's and server 2003 / 2000,
we run Sonicwall firewalls and I have the Sensors behind the firewall. The
picture I have in my mind is having 3 nics in the machine, 1 for Admin and
the other 2 for Snort inline. Am I heading in the right direction here?

Any advice / help GREATLY appreciated.

Marklar

- --
Joel Esler           Senior Security Consultant         1-706-627-2101
Sourcefire    Security for the /Real/ World -- http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort - Open Source Network IPS/IDS -- http://www.snort.org
GPG Key http://demo.sourcefire.com/jesler.pgp.key