Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rate of alert

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:01:19 -0400

The number of alerts depends on a million things (okay, well, maybe not a million, but.  several.)

How many rules you have turned on
Placement of sensor
amount of traffic
vulnerability of network
number of possibly compromised machines
bad programs
bad operating systems
untuned sensor
number of web servers

Start off by turning off rules that don't apply to you (ex.  don't run pop3 servers?  turn off pop3 rules), turn off
rules that you don't care about (snmp, icmp, etc..)  tune your http_inspect preprocessor, ftp_telnet preprocessor, smtp
preprocessor, frag3..  etc..etc...

That should give you a start.

Joel

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 09:03:03AM -0500, Patrick S. Harper apparently sent me:
You have to turn you snort.conf and your rules to weed these out.  Setting
it up is the easy part, tuning is the hard part.