Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass rule vs. threshold/suppression

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:09:04 -0500

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 12:04 -0400, Joel Esler wrote:
Pass rules and Suppression are pretty much processed at the same time,
however, suppression does not require rule ordering, so it's preferred
your use Suppression.

Is that an accurate statement?

When a pass rule matches, the whole packet/stream is ignored, meaning
that any other rules are not matched (early out).

It is my understanding that suppression rules only become effective
after a signature match is successful, and if suppressed with that SID,
will not cause an alert *with that SID*. However, other SIDs may still
alert, so the packet/stream is getting evaluated by other rules.

So I can't see them being equal. In regards to performance it appears
that pass rules are faster (since no further matching occurs), which of
course means that one has to be careful using pass rules as they might
squelch other rules you might want an alert on.

At least I recall that working like this at some point in time. Has that
changed?

Regards,
Frank

--