Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rules for Snort 2.6 RC1

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:21:08 -0500

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:10 -0400, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
wrote:
Yes, I do... but that particular rule does not depend on SMTP_SERVERS.
I should clarify that the crash occures when the rule is triggered,
not when it is parsed.

Argh... sorry, read the wrong line. Indeed no SMTP_SERVER
there. ...hm...

alert tcp !$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg: "BLEEDING-EDGE POLICY
Inbound Frequent Emails -- Possible Spambot Inbound"; flags: S,12;
threshold: type threshold, track by_src,count 10, seconds 60;
classtype: misc-activity; sid: 2002087; rev:4;)

One thing you might want to check/try is to remove the signature related
info from the signature, sig_reference, and reference tables. It could
be that it barfs on creation of the rule when it already exists (missing
check on an error condition during SQL handling).

Syntactically the rules appears to look clean.

ooh...ooh... Remove the "--". Perhaps that confuses the DB.

Regards,
Frank

--
against your ports.