Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-mysql db installation and use

From: "Peter J Manis" <pmanis () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:44:47 -0500

I have tried to find information online, and even in the huge mysql book I have and am still confused.  I am
inexperience with MySQL, so if these questions sound a little trivial, forgive me.  I  I installed the rpm binaries for
snort and snort-myslq from snort.org.  I am confused in how to run and communicate with MySQL.  The snort-mysql.rpm
seems to not install the client and server, but just the MySql library in /sbin (I guess assuming snort is exclusively
the only program to use it)?  How do connect to and run mysql?  I still need to set up username/psswd, snort tables,
etc right, or is that predefined in the rpm?  If nothing needs to be done to set up the db and it just automatically
starts up and works with Snort, how do I access it to view the logs?

thanks