Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tuning sfPortscan

From: Alex Gottschalk <agottschalk () letstalk com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:14:26 -0800

Eric Hines wrote:

You guys really should be using the preprocessor's tuning options built
in to sfportscan rather than disabling things. Check out the
ignore_scanners and ignore_scanned directives, play with the sensitivity
level, etc..

Having done quite a bit of googling and reading of the snort manual, it seems like there isn't really any way of putting something along the lines of "! $HOME_NET" into the ignore_scanned field. Or specifying certain ports to ignore.

Turning things off entirely because of false positives is a really bad
practice..

I did not turn off sfportscan entirely -- I turned off the portsweep scan_type because that was where 99% of the false positives were. I'd like to turn it on again, but not if it's going to fill my logs with bogus results.

--Alex

--
| Alex Gottschalk <agottschalk () letstalk com>       |