Snort mailing list archives

RE: IDS Load Balancer

From: "Richard Bejtlich" <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:50:12 -0500

Angel R wrote:

    I'm going to start a project to implement an end to end IDS solution in a data
center. My problem is that high traffic rate in the data center leads me to use
an load balancer to balance the traffic to multiple Snort servers. I'll be thankful
if you help me to find a proper [including commercial] solution.

Hello,

You can build a simple traffic inspection splitter using commodity
hardware and the Pf firewall.  I explain it in my book Extrusion
Detection (www.extrusiondetection.com).  An excerpt, published on my
blog, demonstrates the idea:

http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2005/07/distributed-traffic-collection-with-pf.html

Sincerely,