Snort mailing list archives

Re: modifying priority on certain rules

From: Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:30:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Christina McAghon wrote:

I am running snort v2.3.3.  I would like to change the priority of a few
certain rules (without affecting the default classification.config
priority).  I thought I could achieve this by copying the rule from its
rule file into local.rules.  In local.rules, I added the priority
classification.  Here's an example:

I think that's generally a bad way to customize rules unless you're careful. Moving a rule into local.rules usually means it will be forgotten and stay there untouched forever, i.e. if the official version of it gets updated, you would still have the old one.

Now some shameless plugs...
I would use the "modifysid" function in Oinkmaster (http://oinkmaster.sf.net/) to customize the rules instead. This way you can continue to use the latest and greatest rules automatically while still being able to tweak them, like changing the priority.
I tried to document these things in the Oinkmaster FAQ (Q21).

By the way, if you really ment Snort 2.3.3, you should upgrade to 2.4.3 ASAP. See the warning at http://www.snort.org/dl/old/ if you don't believe me.

/Andreas