Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question, probably really simple, but a question nontheles

From: Kevin Smith <kjsmith () tm net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:12:04 -0400

Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, that information did help a little, it just has to sink in. Anyway, here is the pcap (hopefully it will be there) from Ethereal that I pulled out of the tcpdump logs. I filtered out packets just from this source. Also, I don't know if this will help you identify the reason for all the 0 addresses, but here is how we have snort setup, it is an odd configuration, but this is how they wanted it done. Anyway, the box is only getting traffic that would normally go nowhere or no reply. Such as a bad web address, a down server, etc, that is all the information snort is going to get. I realize that is taking at lot of power out of what snort can do, but my hands were tied for that decision. Anyway, hopefully you can find something out of it.

Thanks again,
Kevin