Snort mailing list archives

Re: Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

From: Theodore Stout <theodorestout () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

Personally, I have both good and bad feelings about
this.  I am happy for Marty because he will finally
get paid properly for all the hard work he had done.
Bad because it is hard to say what Checkpoint will do.
 Checkpoint likes money, FW-1 is not cheap and never
was.

The company I work at focuses on Sourcefire and
Checkpoint integration so a lof of the steam has been
taken out of our sails now.  I spent most of the night
talking to my co-workers about this. If the
integration is better that is good.  Right now, we are
going to focus more on RNA to be honest as that is the
future detection we feel.  RNA plus Interspect would
be nice.  There are bad feelings now but best not to
say all of them until we learn what will really
happen.

This is most likely very good for Sourcefire, bad for
Snort.  I wonder what others feel.  Will the Pig be
driving a Bentley?

Theo

--- "carlopmart () gmail com" <carlopmart () gmail com>
wrote:

I think that this is a bad news. I known CheckPoint
(I take working with
them arround 6 years with CheckPoint products) and I
think that snort
stopped being GPL/free in one or two years maximum

i repeat: bad notice for GNU community.

Sorry for my bad english.

Jennifer Steffens wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We are very excited to announce that Check Point
has signed an agreement
to acquire Sourcefire. We understand that this
announcement affects not
only Sourcefire but the community as well. We want
to be sure to put
everyone's mind at ease that Snort is now and will
continue to be free
to end-users.  We will continue to develop and
distribute the Snort
engine under the GPL, improve and document the
program to stay on the
cutting edge and expand the snort.org web site.
The community
continues, as always, to be important to us as a
group of people who use
the code pervasively throughout the entire
Internet, report on problems
and make suggestions and contributions to the
project.  Check Point is
very excited about continuing Sourcefire’s
involvement with the open
source community!

Read a message from Marty Roesch, Snort creator,
to the community at

http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html.

Regards,
Jennifer