Snort mailing list archives

Re: Any issues with dup packets on snort?

From: <barryab63-ia () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:11:40 -0800 (PST)

barryab63-ia () yahoo com wrote:  Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:09:31 -0800 (PST)
From: <barryab63-ia () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Any issues with dup packets on snort?
To: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>

  I think we'd need a little more information on this one.  Can you give us an example of how the switch monitoring
ports of feeding the snort interface.

  Depending on the setup this could be normal.  I'd try to avoid it because it's just more data you have to wade
through.  But, depending on your setup it might be unavoidable.

  Barry

Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz> wrote:
  Hi there

We have a range of switches being used within our network for port
monitoring, and a couple have had to be set up in such a way that you
can end up seeing each packet TWICE on the snort interface. I've been
told by our network engineers that this has to be the case in order for
the IDS to see the networks it needs to on one card.

i.e.

src-ip->dst-ip SYN
dst-ip->src-ip SYN-ACK

actually looks like

src-ip->dst-ip SYN
src-ip->dst-ip SYN
dst-ip->src-ip SYN-ACK
dst-ip->src-ip SYN-ACK

Anyway, I have no problem with that, and snort "seems" to be happy too.
Can someone confirm that duplicate packets aren't a problem? That
worst-case should be duplicate alerts?

Thanks

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417